Wednesday, October 15, 2014

AMERICA DAY

Hey everybody,

Now I'm not in any danger of homesickness, not particularly.  There are certainly people, and places and things as well, that I miss, but I'm loving being here in Tokyo.  However, when I came up with a plan to have myself a mini little America Day, how can I pass it up?

(fair disclaimer, this is actually a photo that Alix took in Harajuku from my last trip to Japan.  But I thought it appropriate.  'MURICA)


So, what does one do for America Day?  Duh . . . crash the mall (yes I know she's actually Canadian, deal with it).  See, out here in the suburbs (yes, even though I'm surrounded by skyscrapers Kawaguchi still counts as the suburbs), where land it a little cheaper, they actually have American-style malls.  Big parking garages, chain stores, fluorescent lighting, food court, the works.  Like I said, I'm not especially homesick, but if I were this would cure it

Of all the things they could have adopted from America, they chose malls?  Ahh well

See what I mean?  Hard to even remember I'm in Tokyo and not Tukwila

There's even an L.L. Bean.  Yup.  America
Wait, is that???  Whoa.  Not just going back to America, but going back to America ten-fifteen years ago
OH MY GOD KITTY.  Sorry, what were we talking about?  I got distracted
Even the little things are there, like the banks of candy by bulk (including grapefruit slices, gummi cola bottles, gummi sharks . . .) from which you can take samples when the attendant isn't looking


But I had more planned for America Day than just a trip to the mall.  After all, what self-respecting American mall is complete without a movie theater??  So we come to the cornerstone of America Day, a good ol' fashioned American action movie

A bunch of misfits and losers stumbling their way towards saving the day?  Yup, AMERICA DAY

So yeah, first time to a Japanese movie theater, a fun experience!  Gonna be honest, it's pretty much the same as an American theater (though you do purchase an assigned seat, which is an interesting twist).  The movie selection is a reasonable spread of Japanese gangster or samurai movies with a few dramatic/romantic movies trying to win Academy Prizes, plus usually an American action film or two (next one to hit will be Planet of the Apes, followed by The Expendables 3)

The seats are comfy and recline reasonably, although the armrests don't pull up (but at 1800 yen per ticket it's not like I'm taking a date to the movies any time soon).  Even the concessions are the same!  Which is a good thing, because it's just not the same experience without popcorn and Coke.  Oh god I'm a corporate shill . . .

Oh, and the prices are better on the food--650 yen gets you a nice-sized drink and popcorn combo
And they give you trays that fit into the armrests to make a mini table!  I admit that that's pretty damn clever
Oh, by the way, American movie theaters pay attention:  Japanese movie theaters have a gift shop.  So you can buy merch from whatever movies are showing at the time.  How have American theaters not though of this yet???

Guardians of the Galaxy bobbleheads.  For sale at the theater.  Genius


Anyways, hanging out at the mall and watching an American action flick accomplished, so what to do for dinner?  On America Day, there are a few options, but for me nothing but a good hamburger will do.  Fortunately, while planning this day I'd already spotted a very good-looking burger cafe across the street from the mall!  And really, when you can get a solid bacon cheeseburger for only 850 yen, why would you not go check that out?

Oh yeah, the fact that all the produce in Japan is amazing doesn't hurt . . .
 And finally, it wouldn't be a proper America Day without dessert.  And since I felt a little bad for not going to an American chain for my burger (ok not that bad, that burger was much better), I thought I'd head back to the food court for my old favorite . . . good ol' Baskin and Robbins

American classics like the Jamoca Almond Fudge . . . next to the less-common flavors like Matcha
I opted on the Pumpkin Pudding, gotta go with the Flavor of The Month--it's like an invitation

There we have it.  Because it's important, evey once in a while, to remember from whence you have come.  Happy America Day, everyone!

Noah out

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun! I can't wait to see how you choose to celebrate Thanksgiving in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about it, not sure what I'll do. Don't know if I'll have an apartment by then, so that makes cooking difficult. Maybe I'll convince one of my favorite yakitori bars to put a turkey dish on the specials board ;)

      Delete
  2. You know you miss us!! :) #merica!

    ReplyDelete