Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Packing Tips!

Hey everyone,

With my first houseguest showing up soon (I am so excited), followed by a few more afterwards, I thought I'd write up a post about what to pack.  I've already tested this couch out, I promise it's a pretty comfy night's sleep.  So you are all welcome to visit whenever you like!  Here's some advice:

Things to bring:

  • Comfortable walking shoes.  As has been noted previously on this blog, I like to wander.  I schedule my days off to start at one station and end at one a few stations away.  I log a few miles at least a day, because there's just so much to see everywhere.  Come visit me, and I'll expect you to keep up!
  • Appropriate seasonal clothing.  Right now that means winter wear, it gets seriously cold around these parts (temperature's not terrible, but the wind is absolutely brutal).  And I'm not talking about just a jacket or two--bring hats, scarves, and gloves.  Hey, I usually wear my tights (long underwear, underarmor, whatever you call it) under my suit.  Like I said, it gets seriously cold
  • A set of nice clothes.  Nothing serious, you can probably leave that tailored suit behind, but maybe nice slacks and a button-up shirt for guys or nice skirt/pants and a blouse for girls--something so that we won't embarrass ourselves if we get invited to a nice event.  I still hold onto my shame from the time like five years ago when I had to go to a Lion's Club reception at the Hilton wearing either cargo pants or slacks with a hole in the butt.  No right answer there
  • Medicine and drugs.  Not just your prescription meds (which of course you will have in the original pharmacy bottles with your name on them--don't be the idiot trying to bring a bag full of unlabeled pills into a country pretty hardline on its drugs policy), but also anything over-the-counter you might want.  Sudafed, Benadryl, Ibuprofen, etc., just figure that it'll be may more trouble than it's worth to get them here
  • Advanced bathing products.  I have shampoo, and I have soap.  That's it, and both contracts were awarded to the lowest bidder.  So if your daily hygienic routine involves more or better products than those, you're gonna have to pack 'em in

Things you don't need to bring:

  • Blankets, pillows, towels, etc.  Hey don't let my previous point about toiletries make you think I'm totally remiss as a host.  I do have household stuff, I promise.  Although come to think of it I don't have any washcloths, is that a thing people use?  Man, this being a grownup with grownup guests thing is hard
  • Electric converter.  Yes, technically the Japanese electricity is a slightly different voltage, and thus a lot of travel guides tell you to bring a converter.  This is dumb.  Anything sensitive enough to care about the voltage (e.g. a computer) already has a converter and all that to make sure the current can't damage it.  Or did you think that big box on your charger cable was just for show?
  • Presents for me.  No seriously, I don't need anything.  There's not a lot I miss from the States--or, more specifically, there's not a lot from the States that I can't get here in Tokyo (well except for good Mexican food, *sigh* I'm still looking).  Just show up with a smile and a willingness to see some awesome things, that's all I ask


Oh, and one last thing?  Bring a camera and a laptop, or be prepared to borrow mine.  Cuz if you come visit me, at the very least I'll ask for one guest post for this blog ;)

Noah out


1 comment:

  1. I always brought Puffs and Charmin because Japanese "personal" paper products are not very soft. They took up space in my suitcase that got left in Tokyo and then there is room for things acquired in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete