Sunday, September 14, 2014

Hawaiian and Tahitian Festival in Odaiba!

Hi guys,

K, fully recovered and ready to get back to adventuring!  In this case, said adventure took place out on the man-made island of Odaiba out in Tokyo Bay.  And what a gorgeous day it was for the trip . . .

Haven't been back in years.  Last time I was here, we rode on a red Ferris Wheel car ;)
Now just cuz I'm here in Japan doesn't mean I'm limiting myself to Japanese culture alone.  So when my friend Eris suggested that we check out a Hawaiian and Tahitian Festival, I was all manner of down.  Awesome way to spend a sunny Saturday!

Music!  Best duo I've seen live since Elephant Gazebo
Crafts!  All handmade, by the way, which is awesome
Pretty dancing ladies!  Who are also, really, really good dancers!

Awesome performances, combined with the sunshine and Japan's legality of drinking in public, meant that this was just about the perfect way to spend a day



"Ok Noah, we applaud you for your restraint in waiting this long to start talking about the food.  You may tell us what you ate"

. . . thanks, I'm glad you appreciate the effort that took.  Yes, food trucks all over!  I love food trucks!  I was happy to see all of the Hawaiian food available, but considering that I was just there I gravitated quickly to the Tahitian food stands (Eris ended up getting a Loco Moco from one of the Hawaiian places, and yeah . . . it looked pretty amazing).  Tahitian food, like much Polynesian cuisine, revolves around grilled meats and fish.  So I knew from the beginning I was gonna be happy.  Although the skewers looked delicious, I opted on the grilled shrimp sandwich--and was not at all disappointed

Very delicious food comes out of dudes in vans so tiny they sit hunched over while grilling.  I have always known this to be true
Also, they brew beer in Tahiti! Pretty solid amber ale, actually.  Although at this point I get enthusiastic about anything not a lager
Oh, and before you jump in and say, "how can that be Tahitian if it's on French bread?" let me remind you that French-style bread isn't native to Vietnam either but that doesn't stop them from enjoying banh mi.  Oh, and tomatoes aren't native to Italy, potatoes aren't native to Ireland, and peppers aren't native to Hungary.  So if an island in *French Polynesia* wants to put their food into baguettes, they have as much right as that Italian pouring tomato sauce on his pasta (which was also not invented in Italy!)



Anyways, more music!  The final stage of the night was a very cool band from Tahiti--a band called Pepena, totally check them out. Island music, with enough Rock (and, to my ear, a touch of late Santana) to keep me very interested

. . . who it just so happens had been sitting next to us drinking all afternoon.  They were awesome, awesome guys, we hung out chatting for a while.  They've been in Japan all week, did all the tourist stuff.  I asked them some about Tahiti (yet another place I wanna go, how exhausting).  Totally rad dudes, liked them ever before we saw them play

We got a picture with the band, because we are awesome
The show was small, certainly way smaller than they're used to, at least.  But dude, a ton of fun, perfect way to end the day


(as a side note, that synchronized waving was completely uncoached by the band.  Either they've all been to a show together before, which is unlikely cuz this was Pepena's first trip to Japan, or it's yet another product of the Japanese hivemind.  You decide)

Great day of sunshine, performance, and food.  Plus, I took home a signed CD as a souvenir.  Great day

Noah out

No comments:

Post a Comment