Tuesday, April 28, 2015

NoahandMominTokyo (Coscto adventure!!!)

Hi everybody,

I would like to introduce the most special of special guests:  A wonderful lady, who has gone by many names in her life, from Your Honor to The Reverend Irene . . . but I prefer "Mom"




In order to celebrate the anniversary of her nativity, my mother flew out here to Tokyo.  Although she's visited many times, this was her first time celebrating her birthday in the city of her birth since her 5th.  A very special birthday, for a very special lady!



So what do Noah and Mom do in Tokyo?  Well certainly there are the standard touristy things, as well as taking her to meet my friends at all of my favorite eating establishments and watering holes.  But my family has another fun hobby whenever we have an opportunity while travelling:  Checking out Costco to see what different stuff they have (mostly food.  Let's be real, almost entirely food.  If this blog didn't give you a hint, food is pretty important in my family)

Hawaiian Costco sells all sorts of great Asian products that mainland ones don't.  Costco in the American South sell chicken coops (which totally counts as a food product, if you're patient).  And Japanese Costco?  Awesome

"Even the Hawaiian Costco doesn't have shoyu [soysauce-simmered] pork!"
"These prawns are amazing!  They're not even from Japan, they're from Argentina, why don't they have these in other Costcos???"
"Well it makes sense that they don't have shiokara [fermented squid] at other Costcos.  White people don't usually like this"
"Oh man, we need a picture of this.  Grandma pays like $10 for a tiny, tiny jar of this"
"Ochazuke no moto!  [Japanese comfort food, green tea poured over leftover rice and other seasonings.  Probably worth a post later, huh?]  This is it, I want this for my souvenir picture from this trip!"
Every family is different.  Every family has different things that are important to it.  My family?  My family is about the food--what to eat, how to prepare it, and of course where to get the ingredients.  That's how we roll :)

Noah out

2 comments:

  1. This is so charming! I love that you two share a quirky family tradition. Also I like green tea, and I like rice, so please tell me how to combine these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quirky? Psh, whatever. You mean your family *doesn't* go to foreign grocery stores and/or Costco together? You're missing out

      And yes, ochazuke is amazing. Actually, the most common brand of mix is Nagataien, that's the one in the picture--and it's definitely available on Amazon (and probably in stores as well). Just look for the stripes XD

      Delete